Easy Homemade Labneh Recipe. Labneh is Middle Eastern yogurt cheese. A little tangy and super creamy. Takes only a couple steps to make with this easy recipe.
- 32 oz whole milk yogurt
- 3/4 tsp salt
- Pour the yogurt into a large bowl. Stir in salt.
- Line another large bowl with a linen or muslin towel (or several layers of cheesecloth.) Pour the yogurt mixture into the towel. Pick up the edges of the towel and tie at the top. Hang from a kitchen sink faucet to drain for 24 to 48 hours. (Alternatively, set a large sieve, lined with linen towel over a deep bowl. Add the yogurt mixture. Cover gently with the overhang of the linen towel, or another linen towel. Set aside on the counter, or in the fridge, to drain for 24-48 hours)
- To serve, spread labneh in a bowl and top with extra virgin olive oil, za’atar spice (or chopped fresh herbs like mint or parsley). Add warm pita and fresh veggies for dipping. Enjoy!
- Store labneh in a tight-lid container in the fridge and use as a spread, like any cream cheese. Labneh will keep this way up to 2 weeks. Or, preserve in olive oil for longer. This more labor intensive option works only if the yogurt has been strained for 48 hours forming thicker labneh. At this point, roll the labneh into small 3/4-inch balls. Place on a large tray lined with paper towel, cover with another paper towel and refrigerate overnight. When ready, place the labneh balls in a clean jar and pour excellent quality olive oil, making sure the labneh balls are completely submerged. Cover and refrigerate until needed; it’ll be good for months this way. Or leave the jar at room temperature for some weeks (2-4 weeks is safe).
- Recommended for this Recipe: Early Harvest Extra Virgin Olive Oil; All-Natural Za’atar Spice.
- SAVE! Try our Ultimate Mediterranean Spice Bundle! Or create your own 3-pack or 6-pack of premium all-natural and organic spices!
- Method: Straining
- Cuisine: Middle Eastern
Keywords: Labneh, homemade labneh, homemade labneh recipe, labneh recipe, how to make labneh, Middle Eastern yogurt cheese