This strawberry orzo pasta salad features some of my favorite Mediterranean flavors. So little effort to the perfect potluck salad!
I think of orzo pasta as the ingredient for last-minute, intuitive cooks. When in doubt, add orzo. Right?!
And when it’s sandal season, my go-to is this strawberry orzo pasta salad.
This orzo pasta salad is one of those happy dishes I love to bring to potluck gatherings or add next to grilled chicken. And I know, I just told you that not every Mediterranean salad must have feta cheese, this one does–a good bit of it!
You will find that the feta and lemony vinaigrette –made with our Early Harvest extra virgin olive oil— are a little revelation against the sweetness of strawberries!
Tips for this Mediterranean strawberry pasta salad
This orzo pasta salad is the simplest of recipes, but there is one trick that makes all the difference: mix the hot orzo immediately with the lemon vinaigrette, shallots, and herbs. Let them sit for a little while–up to one hour at room temperature–so that the flavors blend.
And as is the case with this Mediterranean olive oil pasta, it is important to use quality extra virgin olive oil. Look for organic extra virgin olive oil that’s been cold pressed and with the lowest acidity you can find. I highly recommend our Early Harvest EVOO for this one.
- 8 oz baby broccoli, tough ends removed
- Early Harvest Extra virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 cup orzo pasta
- 1 shallot, minced
- 1 cup minced scallions
- 1 cup packed fresh chopped parsley
- 15-20 fresh basil leaves, torn
- 2 cups baby arugula
- 8 oz. strawberries, sliced
- 3/4 lb feta cheese, cut into cubes or small chunks
- 1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 cup Early Harvest Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 tsp honey
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- Heat oven to 400 degrees F. Slice baby broccoli in half length-wise, or cut into even sized pieces. Place on a baking sheet and toss with olive oil and a sprinkle of salt. Roast in heated oven for 15 minutes. Remove from oven and set aside. (optional step, you can use raw broccoli, if you like)
- While broccoli is roasting, cook the pasta. Fill a large pot with water; add salt and olive oil. Bring to a boil and add orzo. Cook to al dente (9-11 minutes). Drain. Transfer the hot pasta to a mixing bowl.
- Quickly make the lemon vinaigrette. Place all vinaigrette ingredients in a small bowl, whisk vigorously to combine.
- Pour the vinaigrette on top of the hot pasta. Add the shallots, scallions, parsley, basil. Toss to combine. Set aside to cool (if you have time, leave it for 1 hour to allow the flavors to blend).
- Once the pasta has cooled, add in the arugula, roasted baby broccoli and strawberries. Toss gently to combine. Finally top with feta cheese chunks. Again, toss very gently; the cheese can mostly remain on top. Enjoy!
Recommended for this recipe Early Harvest Extra Virgin Olive Oil
More Recipes to Try