Roast lamb rack recipe with harissa and herb pistachio crust! An easy, crowd-pleasing entree. See the step-by-step tutorial.
- 2 racks of lamb (8 ribs in each rack)
- Salt and pepper
- Olive oil
For the Harissa and Pistachio Crust
- 1 tbsp harrisa paste
- 1/2 tsp crushed garlic (garlic paste)
- 1/2 tbsp unsalted butter, softened
- 1/2 tsp lemon juice
- 2/3 cup pistachios, shelled, chopped
- 2 tbsp Panko bread crumbs
- 1 tbsp sesame seeds
- 1/2 tbsp chopped fresh thyme
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh parsley leaves
- 1 tbsp dried mint flakes
- Take the lamb racks out of the fridge 10 minutes before cooking. When ready, trim the top fat off and spice lightly with salt and pepper.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- In a small bowl, stir the harissa, crushed garlic, softened butter and lemon juice. In a separate bowl, combine the chopped pistachios, Panko, sesame seeds, thyme, parsley and mint flakes. Set aside.
- Make 1/4 inch slits between the ribs, but leave the racks of lamb intact.
- Heat 2 tbsp of olive oil in a nonstick pan or skillet on medium-high. Now brown each lamb rack on both sides. Remove the lamb racks from the pan and place on a lightly oiled baking sheet.
- With a spoon, spread an equal amount of the harissa mixture on each lamb rack (top only). Now, carefully press a generous amount of the pistachio mixture to cover the top. Clean any crumbs off the baking sheet.
- Place the baking sheet in the 400 degrees F heated-oven. Let the lamb racks roast for 20 minuets. Remove from heat, and carefully transfer the lamb racks to a cutting board. Let rest for 5 minutes before carving.
- When ready, carve each lamb rack into two portions, allowing 4 ribs per person. Serve with roasted Greek potatoes and a simple 3-ingredient Mediterranean salad to make great additions to this meal. Enjoy!
- Harissa is a North African chili paste. If you prefer, you can replace the harissa mixture and use a good Dijon mustard instead. You simply need a binder to help “glue” the herb pistachio crust to the lamb rack. If you use mustard, you would eliminate the harissa, garlic, butter and lemon juice which make up the harissa mixture in the first part of step #3.
- Recommended for this Recipe: Our Private Reserve Greek extra virgin olive oil (from organically grown and processed Koroneiki olives!)
- Visit our store to browse our spices, olive oils and bundles!
- Category: Entree
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: Mediterranean
Keywords: Lamb, Rack of Lamb, Mediterranean Lamb, Harissa, Pistachio Crust