Craving some cozy, pumkin-y flavors? You'll love this easy Greek yogurt pumpkin parfait! A quick and healthier alternative to pumpkin pie, but with the fall flavors we love! A tiny bit of creamy Mascarpone provides that indulgent, velvety texture, while a topping of dark chocolate chips and nuts add crunch! Ready in 5 minutes. And you can prepare it ahead for a quick treat.
Yogurt seems to have been a consistent part of my childhood. Mom managed to regularly pull together a fresh homemade batch--for baking a cake or for all sorts of savory applications including marinades and yogurt sauces similar to Tzatziki.
We also enjoyed an occasional yogurt parfait in the form of a simple cup of yogurt, topped with a drizzle of honey or date syrup and whatever fruit we had on hand. Nothing fancy, but those yogurt parfaits always hit the spot!
Now as an adult, I've found more ways to play up my yogurt parfaits, depending on the season and what I'm in the mood for. And especially during the cooler fall days, when those pumpkin pie cravings hit, I switch my parfait game over to this simple pumpkin parfait. And trust me, it satisfies the cravings and then some!
Easy pumpkin parfait with pumpkin pie vibes!
As amazing as pumpkin pie can be, there are ways to enjoy the same flavors without having to bake one! Personally, I think this Greek yogurt pumpkin parfait is a healthier option, and a great way to incorporate nutrition-rich pumpkin puree. This pumpkin parfait is pretty easy to make. And once you have your ingredients lined up, it literally takes 5 minutes to put together! What's in it?
The star ingredients here are organic pumpkin puree (I used a 15-ounce can of store-bought pumpkin puree) + Greek yogurt. To add a little richness and a velvety texture to your parfait, throw in a tiny bit of Mascarpone (sweet cream cheese), which also tames the tang of the Greek yogurt.
To flavor the pumpkin parfait, we're going for all the pumpkin pie vibes with a little cinnamon and a pinch of nutmeg. For sweetness, a little brown sugar.
Although this pumpkin pie parfait recipe is meant as dessert, it's also great to serve as part of a special holiday brunch! And you can make it a bit in advance (more on this later.)
The topping options for this easy parfait recipe are endless, from homemade granola, but you can also throw in nuts or chocolate bits! Here is what I used:
- Honey or molasses- a little drizzle for additional natural sweetness
- Chopped nuts- hazelnut, walnuts, or pecans pair well with pumpkin
- Chocolate chips! Just a handful of dark semi-sweet chocolate chips
How to make pumpkin parfait:
- Add the pumpkin puree, Greek yogurt, Mascarpone, vanilla extract, spices, and brown sugar in a large bowl.
- Blend using an electric mixer on low speed (or whisk with a hand mixer) until everything is combined and smooth
- Divide the pumpkin parfait mixture in small cups or mason jars
- Refrigerate or serve immediately (Refrigerating for at least 30 minutes allows the pumpkin parfaits to thicken)
- Garnish with a drizzle of honey or molasses, nuts, and chocolate chips
Can You Make this Pumpkin Parfait ahead of time?
You can make this pumpkin parfait one night in advance. Hold the chocolate chips and nuts until you are ready to serve. Store the pumpkin parfait in the fridge in one container with a tight lid or, for easy serving, divide it into portions in small mason jars.
When ready to serve, stir the parfait and top with a drizzle of molasses (or date syrup), chocolate chips and hazelnuts or walnut hearts. Enjoy!
More fall desserts to try
Browse all Mediterranean recipes.
5-Minute Pumpkin Parfait
- 1 15- oz can pumpkin puree or scant 2 cups homemade pumpkin puree
- 1 ¼ cup Greek yogurt
- 3-4 tablespoons mascarpone cheese
- 1 tablespoons vanilla extract
- 2 ½ tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 ½-2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 tablespoon honey or molasses, more for garnish
- Chocolate chips for garnish
- Chopped hazelnuts or walnuts for garnish
- Place the pumpkin puree, Greek yogurt and the remaining ingredients, except the chocolate chips and nuts, in a large mixing bowl. Using a hand electric mixer or a whisk, mix together until you reach a smooth consistency.
- Give it a taste and adjust flavor to your liking (add a bit of molasses or brown sugar to sweeten some more, for example. Or adjust the spices if you want more cinnamon or nutmeg.) Mix again to combine.
- Transfer the pumpkin-yogurt mixture to small (3-oz) serving goblets or small mason jars. Cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes or overnight.
- When ready to serve, top each with a drizzle of molasses, chocolate chips and chopped hazelnuts or walnuts. Enjoy!
- Prepare-Ahead Tip: You can prepare this pumpkin parfait one night in advance. Refrigerate in a tightly closed container or individual mason jars (hold the chocolate chips and nuts for later). When ready to serve, stir the yogurt mixture and transfer it into the serving goblets or mini jars and follow step 3.
- To serve a larger crowd: Simply double the recipe to feed 12 or more (small 3-oz goblets or mason jars.)
- Visit Our Shop to browse quality ingredients including spices and olive oils
*This post first appeared on The Mediterranean Dish in November 2015 and has been recently updated with new information for readers' benefit.