An easy baked cod recipe that comes together in 25 minutes! Bold Mediterranean flavors from fresh cilantro, garlic and lemon juice.
If you were trapped on a desert island, what is the one food you must have along? For me, it will always be fish. Seafood, in general. Top of the list: cod. I would also make sure I had some lemons and garlic. And I guess a bit of white wine would be good– not that one can be choosy if trapped on a desert island!
I actually keep a supply of individually packaged cod fillets in my freezer at all times. When I am in a time crunch, which is often, I can count on a quick cod recipe like today’s.
Cod is quite a versatile fish. Because it is a dense, lean fish with a very mild flavor– meaning, not too “fishy”– cod makes the perfect canvas for bold flavors. A cod dinner can be different every time, really.
In today’s baked cod recipe, I chose to spice the fish fillets very lightly with salt and pepper to start with. And while the fish baked, I diced some Roma tomatoes and made, what is now one of my favorite condiments, pistachio cilantro pesto, to top the baked fish fillets with. fresh cilantro, garlic, and lemon from the pesto add enough flavor in this cod recipe. The pistachio supplies a little nuttiness, color and texture.
One quick note: Although the recipe calls for only 1 large garlic clove, it can still be overpowering to those who are not too keen on fresh garlic. One way to take the “garlicy” edge off, is to roast the garlic briefly in the oven with the fish (no more than 5 mins).
Of all the cod recipes out there, this has got to be the easiest!
Here’s today’s cod recipe. Be sure to scroll down for the step-by-step tutorial with photos.Print
- 4-6 Cod fillet pieces about 4-oz each
- Salt and pepper
- Olive oil
- 2 Roma tomatoes, diced
For the Pistachio Cilantro Pesto:
- 2 packed cups fresh cilantro, stems removed
- 1/3 cup salted shelled pistachios
- 1 large garlic clove
- 2/3 cup olive oil
- 1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 3 tbsp lemon juice
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Pat the fish fillets dry and season with salt and pepper on both sides, then place on a lightly oiled baking pan. Drizzle with olive oil. Bake in the heated oven for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, prepare the pistachio cilantro pesto. Place the cilantro, shelled pistachio and garlic in your food processor. Pulse until well-chopped. Add the remaining ingredients and blend until smooth.
- When ready, remove the baked cod fillets from the oven and arrange them on a serving platter or individual dishes. Top each fish fillet with a generous spoonful of the pistachio cilantro pesto, then add the diced tomatoes. Enjoy with a side of rice, quinoa or couscous.
If you are not too keen on the taste of fresh garlic, you can add the garlic to roast with the fish for just 5 minutes; this should help take the edge off.
Step-by-step for today’s baked cod recipe:
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
Pat the fish fillets dry and season with salt and pepper on both sides, then place on a lightly oiled baking pan. Drizzle with olive oil. Bake in the heated oven for 20 minutes.
Meanwhile, prepare the pistachio cilantro pesto. Place the cilantro, chopped pistachios and garlic in your food processor. Pulse until well-chopped. Add the remaining pesto ingredients and blend until smooth.
When ready, remove the cod fillets from the oven and arrange them on a serving platter or individual dishes. Top each fish fillet with a generous spoonful of the pistachio cilantro pesto, then add the diced tomatoes. Enjoy with a side of rice, quinoa or couscous.
Disclaimer: As an Amazon affiliate, I receive a small credit when you make a purchase within 24 hours of clicking a link provided here. Please know, I only recommend high quality products that are competitively priced or hard to find elsewhere. If you are looking for a product not highlighted here today, please browse Amazon via this link. Thank you for your support.