All-star, easy eggplant rollatini recipe, made with a lighter cheese filling, basil pesto and fresh parsley.
- 2 eggplants
- Private Reserve Greek extra virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 to 2 cups low-sodium marinara sauce
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 cup part-skim ricotta cheese
- 1/2 cup part-skim shredded Mozzarella, more for later
- 3 tbsp grated Parmesan
- 2 tbsp basil pesto (homemade or store-bought), more for later
- 1 cup chopped fresh parsley leaves
- Slice eggplants length-wise into 1/4-inch thin slices (it’s easier to do this using a mandolin slicer like this one from XOXO.) You should have about 12 slices of similar size (discard end pieces that are shorter.)
- Sprinkle eggplant slices with salt and set aside on paper towel for 20 minutes. This will help the eggplant sweat out any bitterness. Pat dry. Rinse with water, then dry again.
- Heat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Brush a large baking sheet with extra virgin olive oil. Arrange eggplant slices in one layer on baking sheet. Brush the tops of the eggplant slices with more extra virgin olive oil. Bake in heated oven for 8 minutes or so until soft enough to fold (do not overcook.) Remove from oven and set aside briefly to cool. (Leave oven on)
- Meanwhile, prepare the filling. In a bowl, add eggs, ricotta, Mozzarella, grated Parmesan, basil pesto, and fresh parsley. Mix until well-combined.
- Spread about 3/4 cup marinara sauce on the bottom of a 9 1/2″ x 13″ baking dish like this one.
- Spoon about 1 1/2 tbsp of the filling onto one end of each eggplant slice, and spread. Starting from the short end, roll up eggplant slices tightly and arranged on prepared baking dish.
- Top eggplant rollatini with the remainder of the marinara sauce, more basil pesto, and a sprinkle of mozzarella. Bake in heated oven for 20 minutes or until fully cooked.
- Remove from oven and let sit for 5 minutes or so before serving.
- Prepare-ahead and Freezing Instructions: You can prepare eggplant rollatini in advance and freeze it before baking. Or, you can fully bake it and freeze any leftovers. When ready to use, simply reheat frozen rollatini in the oven at 350 degrees F.
- Recommended for this recipe: Private Reserve Greek Extra Virgin Olive Oil.
- SAVE! Try our Greek EVOO Bundle!
- Category: Entree or Side Dish
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: Italian
Keywords: Eggplant Rollatini Recipe, Eggplant Rollatini, Healthy Eggplant Rollatini