Simple and satisfying chickpea egg salad recipe, prepared Mediterranean-style! Tons of texture and flavor.
Take one look at this egg salad recipe, and you’ll immediately know it defies the rules (at least the rules as we know them here in America.) That’s not entirely a bad thing, I promise.
Spoiler alert, we completely skip the mayonnaise here.
Why this egg salad recipe works
Clearly, chickpeas share much of the glory with hard-boiled eggs in this simple, Mediterranean-style egg salad. And cucumbers, green onions, and celery provide great crunch.
But the draw of me is in the flavor makers–a generous amount of chopped fresh parsley, plus a punchy Dijon and lemon dressing. Mmm, if you let the salad sit for just a few minutes before serving, all the flavors will meld beautifully.
I had this satisfying egg salad for lunch the other day. All I added was a small warm piece of pita bread. But, it’s a great crowd-pleaser for your next dinner or potluck.
- 2 1/2 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1 large lemon, zested and juiced
- 1/3 cup Private Reserve Greek extra virgin olive oil (or Early Harvest Greek extra virgin olive oil)
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tsp sumac
- 1/2 tsp coriander
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- Salt and pepper
For Egg Salad
- 2 cans chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 2 Persian cucumbers (or 1/2 seedless English cucumber), diced
- 2 to 3 green onions, trimmed, and chopped (both white and green parts)
- 1/2 cup shredded red cabbage
- 2 jalapeno peppers, chopped (optional)
- 1/2 cup packed chopped fresh parsley leaves
- 1/2 cup packed chopped fresh mint leaves
- 5 large hard boiled eggs, sliced
- In a small bowl or mason jar, mix together the dressing ingredients. Set aside for now.
- In a large mixing bowl, add all the salad ingredients except the eggs. Give the dressing a quick whisk and pour over the salad. Mix to combine. Add the sliced eggs, and mix gently again. Taste and adjust salt and pepper. Add a sprinkle more sumac. Set aside a few minutes before serving to allow flavors to meld. (See recipe notes for preparing ahead). Enjoy!
- Prepare ahead. You can mix the salad a few hours in advance; cover tightly and refrigerate. For best results, add in the eggs a few minutes or up to an hour before serving. Salad will keep well for 2 to 3 days in the fridge in a tightly-closed container.
- Variation. If you prefer, omit the jalapeno peppers. Instead, use mild bell peppers 1/3 to 1/2 cup chopped bell peppers of any color you like.
- Recommended for this recipe. Private Reserve Greek extra virgin olive oil (from organically grown and processed Koroneiki olives). And from spice collections, sumac and coriander.
- SAVE! Try our Greek olive oil bundle or our Ultimate Mediterranean Spice Bundle. Create your own 6-pack or 3-pack from our all-natural or organic spice collections.
More Recipes to Try