An easy homemade vegetable soup prepared Mediterranean-style. Quality vegetables, mushrooms, chickpeas, and bone broth with a dose of aromatics, fresh herbs, and bold Mediterranean spices all in one pot! A delicious way to “detox.”
As a child, I didn’t quite appreciate mom’s homemade vegetable soup. Maybe because she made it often. Or maybe because it had a decidedly “detox” quality to it, which, at the time, I thought of as a form of punishment. Cut me some slack, I was only a child!
Now as an adult, I do so appreciate a hearty bowl of homemade vegetable soup; an amped-up version of my mother’s. And the bigger the bowl, the better!
In this humble homemade vegetable soup is a host of delicious nourishing ingredients–garlic, onions, whole tomatoes, zucchini, chickpeas and more. All in one pot, carefully lavished upon with bone broth, fresh herbs, warm Mediterranean spices…and good ‘ol mom love.
When nothing else will do–like when my family needs a break from coma-inducing holiday food–it’s this vegetable soup recipe to the rescue!
A pot of this detox soup feeds a small gang with abundance. Just add your favorite crusty bread or even pita!Print
Mediterranean-Style Homemade Vegetable Soup
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 30 mins
- Total Time: 45 minutes
- Yield: 4-6
- Cuisine: Mediterranean
- Olive oil
- 8 oz sliced baby bella mushrooms
- 2 medium-size zucchini, tops removed, sliced into rounds or half-moons
- 1 bunch flat leaf parsley, washed, dried, stems and leaves separated, then each chopped
- 1 medium-size yellow or red onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 2 carrots, peeled, chopped
- 2 golden potatoes, peeled, diced
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp sweet paprika
- 1/2 tsp thyme
- Salt and pepper
- 1 32-oz can whole peeled tomatoes
- 2 bay leaves
- 6 cups turkey bone broth (or use low-sodium chicken broth or vegetable broth)
- 1 15-oz can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- Zest of 1 lime
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1/3 cup toasted pine nuts, optional
- In a large cast iron pot like this one, heat 1 tbsp olive oil on medium-high. Add the mushrooms and cook for 3-4 minutes, stirring regularly. Remove the mushrooms from the pot.
- In the same pot, add the sliced zucchini. Cook on medium-high heat for about 5 minutes or until the zucchini begin to gain color, stir regularly. Remove from the pot.
- Add more olive oil and heat on medium-high. Now add the chopped parsley stems (stems only at this point). Add the onions garlic, celery, carrots and potatoes. Stir in the spices, salt and pepper.
- Cook everything on medium-high heat for 5-7 minutes, stirring regularly, until the vegetables have softened a bit.
- Now add the tomatoes, bay leaves, and broth. Bring to a boil, then turn the heat down to medium. Cover and cook for 15 minutes.
- Uncover and add the chickpeas and the sauteed mushrooms and zucchini. Cook for just a few more minutes until everything is warmed through.
- Finally, stir in the parsley leaves, lime zest, and lime juice.
- Remove from the heat. Transfer to serving bowls and top with toasted pine nuts, if you like. Add a side of your favorite crusty bread or pita along with extra lime wedges and crushed red pepper. Enjoy!
More Soup Recipes to Try: