All-star keftedes Greek meatballs recipe. Tender on the inside, crispy on the outside. Flavor-packed with fresh mint, spices and a lemony Greek sauce!
- 1 medium yellow onion, grated
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- Private Reserve Greek Extra Virgin Olive Oil (click here to purchase)
- 1 slice, day old bread, cubed and soaked in milk (you can use pita bread, if you like)
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1/2 lb ground lamb or pork
- 1 large egg PLUS 1 egg yolk, divided
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh mint leaves
- 1 tbsp organic ground coriander
- 1 tsp dried oregano, preferably Greek oregano
- 1 tsp organic ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- Salt and pepper
- 3 lemons, zested and juiced
- Flour for dredging
- 1 1/4 cup chicken broth
- If serving in bowls as suggested in this post, first prepare the Greek salad according to this recipe (dress salad later, if you prefer) and Tzatziki sauce according to this recipe. Set aside or refrigerate for now.
- In a large skillet like this one, heat 2 tbsp Private Reserve olive oil over medium heat. Add onions and garlic and cook until golden and translucent, stirring regularly. Transfer the onions and garlic mixture to a large mixing bowl to cool. Set skillet aside for later.
- Wring the excess milk out of the soaked bread. Add the bread to the mixing bowl.
- To the mixing bowl add the ground beef and lamb (or pork), 1 egg, fresh mint, spices, salt and pepper, and 1 tbsp lemon zest. Mix by hand until until mixture is fully incorporated.
- Form the meat mixture into balls (each the size of a heaping tablespoon.) Roll meatballs into the flour to lightly coat and place them on a large tray for now.
- In the large skillet you used earlier, add 1/4 cup Private Reserve olive oil. Heat over medium-high. Turn heat to medium and add the meatballs to cook (do this in batches if you need to.) Cook meatballs for 10 minutes or so, turning occasionally, until fully cooked and well-crusted on all sides.
- With a slotted spoon, remove meatballs from skillet onto paper towels to drain any excess fat. Meanwhile, carefully discard most of the cooking fat from skillet (best to dump into a tin can until cooled). Return skillet to stove-top over medium heat.
- Whisk the 1 egg yolk with the chicken broth and lemon juice. Add to cooking skillet with the remaining lemon zest, then add the meatballs back in. Cook over medium heat for another 5 minutes until the lemon sauce thickens.
- Serve hot in bowls with pita bread, Greek salad and Tzatziki sauce. Or serve in pita pockets as sandwiches, if you prefer.
- Recommended for This Recipe Our Private Reserve Greek Extra Virgin Olive Oil (from organically grown and processed Koroneiki olives!) And all-natural and organic ground coriander, ground cumin, and ground nutmeg.
- SAVE! Try our Ultimate Mediterranean Spice Bundle or create your own 6-Pack or 3-Pack of our all-natural or organic spices!
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 20 mins
- Category: Entree
- Cuisine: Greek
Keywords: Koftedes recipe, Greek meatballs recipe