Healthy tuna salad recipe prepared the Mediterranean way. This mayo free tuna salad boasts tons of texture and fresh Mediterranean flavors. A zesty Dijon vinaigrette pulls it all together!
For the Zesty Dijon Mustard Vinaigrette
- 2 1/2 tsp good quality Dijon mustard
- Zest of 1 lime
- 1 1/2 limes, juice of
- 1/3 cup Early Harvest extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 tsp sumac
- Pinch of salt and pepper
- 1/2 tsp crushed red pepper flakes, optional
For the Tuna Salad
- 3 5-ounce cans Genova tuna in olive oil
- 2 1/2 celery stalks, chopped
- 1/2 English cucumber, chopped
- 4-5 whole small radishes, stems removed, chopped
- 3 green onions, both white and green parts, chopped
- 1/2 medium-sized red onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup cup pitted Kalamata olives, halved
- 1 bunch of parsley, stems removed, chopped (about 1 cup chopped fresh parsley)
- 10-15 fresh mint leaves, stems removed, finely chopped (about 1/2 cup chopped fresh mint)
- Six slices heirloom tomatoes for serving
- Pita chips or pita pockets for serving
- To make the zesty mustard vinaigrette, in a small bowl, whisk together the Dijon mustard, lime zest, and lime juice. Add the olive oil, sumac, salt and pepper, and crushed pepper flakes (if using), and whisk again until well-blended. Set aside briefly.
- To make the tuna salad, in a large salad bowl, combine the 3 5-oz cans of Genova tuna with the chopped vegetables,Kalamata olives, chopped fresh parsley and mint leaves. Mix gently with a wooden spoon.
- Dress the tuna salad with the zesty mustard vinaigrette. Mix again to make sure the tuna salad is evenly coated with the vinaigrette. Cover and refrigerate for half an hour before serving.
- When ready to serve, toss the salad gently to refresh. Transfer to a serving platter with a side of pita chips or pita bread and sliced heirloom tomatoes. If you like, serve a portion of the tuna salad over the sliced heirloom tomatoes. Enjoy!
Keywords: tuna salad, tuna salad recipe, healthy tuna salad recipe, Mediterranean tuna salad, mayo free tuna salad