Healthy tuna salad recipe with no mayo, prepared the Mediterranean way with lots of crunchy vegetables, fresh herbs, and a zesty Dijon dressing!
For the Zesty Dijon Mustard Dressing
- 2 1/2 tsp good quality Dijon mustard
- Zest of 1 lime
- 1 1/2 limes, juice of
- 1/3 cup Early Harvest extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 tsp sumac
- Pinch of salt and pepper
- 1/2 tsp crushed red pepper flakes, optional
For the Tuna Salad
- 3 cans tuna, 5 ounces each (use quality tuna of your choice)
- 2 1/2 celery stalks, chopped
- 1/2 English cucumber, chopped
- 4–5 whole small radishes, stems removed, chopped
- 3 green onions, both white and green parts, chopped
- 1/2 medium-sized red onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup cup pitted Kalamata olives, halved
- 1 bunch of parsley, stems removed, chopped (about 1 cup chopped fresh parsley)
- 10–15 fresh mint leaves, stems removed, finely chopped (about 1/2 cup chopped fresh mint)
- Six slices heirloom tomatoes for serving
- Homemade Pita chips or pita pockets for serving
- To make the zesty mustard vinaigrette, in a small bowl, whisk together the Dijon mustard, lime zest, and lime juice. Add the olive oil, sumac, salt and pepper, and crushed pepper flakes (if using), and whisk again until well-blended. Set aside briefly.
- To make the tuna salad, in a large salad bowl, combine the tuna with the chopped vegetables, Kalamata olives, chopped fresh parsley and mint leaves. Mix gently with a wooden spoon.
- Pour the dressing over the tuna salad. Mix again to make sure the tuna salad is evenly coated with the dressing. Cover and refrigerate for half an hour before serving. When ready to serve, toss the salad gently to refresh.
- Serve in pita pockets for a sandwich dinner. Or to serve as an appetizer, transfer to a serving platter and add pita chips and sliced heirloom tomatoes on the side. If you like, serve a portion of the tuna salad over the sliced heirloom tomatoes. Enjoy!
- Cook’s Tip for Storing: You can refrigerate this Mediterranean tuna salad in the fridge for up to 2 days. If you want to try and prepare it ahead, you can chop up the fresh ingredients and refrigerate in a tight-lid glass containers, but do not mix with the tuna and dressing until 1/2 hour before serving.
- Recommended for this Recipe: Early Harvest Greek extra virgin olive oil. And from our all-natural spice collection, Sumac.
- Visit our online shop to browse our olive oil bundles and all-natural and organic spices, including our Ultimate Mediterranean Spice Bundle and the Exotic 4 Bundle
- Category: Salad
- Method: Tossed
- Cuisine: Mediterranean
Keywords: healthy tuna salad recipe, Mediterranean tuna salad, tuna salad with no mayo