This berry salad recipe is the perfect summer salad with loads of berries, peppery arugula, and soft burrata cheese all tossed in a lightly and citrusy dressing with extra virgin olive oil.
The salad game can get pretty ordinary sometimes. But it doesn't have to because the next salad idea is just around the corner! Look no further than summer berries for the perfect seasonal salad!
If you're wondering "what can I do with too many berries?" You can certainly make a berry compote, jam, or pie filling, but I love to use them fresh just the way they are. And this simple summer berry salad with burrata cheese and arugula is the perfect way to use fresh berries.
Why this berry salad recipe works?
Everyone loves a berry fruit salad, but for a more elevated summer salad, this recipe calls for pairing your fresh blackberries, raspberries, and strawberries with peppery baby arugula, and few thin slices of red onions which add texture and complex flavor to balance the berries.
I think nestling in a few balls of fresh burrata takes this summer berry salad recipe to a level of "luxury." Burrata is a type of mild Italian cheese that is considered mozzarellas extra soft cousin. Burrata cheese is great in salads because it is not overpowering. And if you cut into the outer layer of burrata, all the creamy goodness comes out. It truly adds a little something special to this berry salad, but you can omit the burrata if you are concerned about the fat content. Or, you can use a different kind of cheese such as feta or baby mozzarella.
For best presentation, go for a more composed look and serve the berry salad on a beautiful platter.
Berry salad dressing
When I make a salad that is already filled with texture and great flavor, I keep the dressing very simple to allow the beautiful fresh ingredients to shine. Here is what you need for the berry salad dressing:
- Extra virgin olive oil. Use the best quality extra virgin olive oil you have here. If you love something robust with more of a peppery finish, try this Early Harvest Greek EVOO. And if you're looking for something fruity, milder with just a bit of a kick, try Private Reserve EVOO or Nabali EVOO, which is smooth and delicate. Visit our shop for all olive oils, spices and more!
- Lemon juice. Fresh is best here, and you'll need juice of one large lemon
- Kosher salt and black pepper
Chicken berry salad option
One of the best ways to turn this arugula salad with berries into a delicious summer meal is by adding chicken! For this recipe, the best chicken option I can recommend is my easy lemon chicken. Here is what you need to do to add chicken:
- Follow this lemon chicken recipe to season and marinate the chicken. When you're ready, cook the chicken on the grill or your griddle pan, it will take about 10 to 12 minutes to cook over medium-high heat.
- While the chicken cooks, go ahead and prepare the arugula and berry salad. And just as the chicken is almost ready, dress the salad and arrange it on a large platter.
- When the chicken is fully cooked, slice it thinly and arrange it on top of the composed salad. Enjoy!
A few tips for success
- Use quality ingredients. This gorgeous salad is truly bigger than the sum of its parts, so be sure to select beautiful ripe berries that are not too soft or bruised. They should smell fragrant. And as mentioned earlier, use quality extra virgin olive oil in the salad dressing, it will make a difference to the taste.
- To prepare this salad ahead of time, simply prep the berries, arugula, and onions. You can keep them separately in the fridge or you can assemble the ingredients on a beautiful platter and cover till later. Add the burrata and dress the salad lightly just before serving.
- Variations. You can use spinach instead of arugula here, although I think arugula adds complexity and flavor to this salad. You can also use shallots rather than onions for a milder taste. If you want to add more to this salad, English cucumbers or small diced watermelon are great options.
You may also like
Visit Our Shop for quality Mediterranean ingredients.
Mixed Berry Salad with Burrata and Arugula
- 6 oz baby arugula
- 1 small shallot halved and sliced
- 6 oz fresh blackberries
- 6 oz fresh raspberries
- 6 oz fresh strawberries
- 4 oz Burrata cheese
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large lemon, juice of
- kosher salt and black pepper
- Make the dressing. Place extra virgin olive oil, lemon juice, salt and pepper in a small bowl. Whisk to combine.
- In a large mixing bowl, add the arugula, shallots, and berries (all three berry varieties). Pour the dressing on top and gently toss.
- Transfer the berry salad to a serving platter and arrange burrrata cheese on top. Enjoy!
- Prepare ahead instructions: If you don't plan to serve this salad immediately, prepare the salad but do not dress it until closer to time of serving. You can even arrange the salad on a serving platter, then pour the dressing evenly on top a little bit before serving.
- To add chicken: cook my easy lemon chicken recipe, then thinly slice the chicken and add it on top of the composed salad.
- Burrata is optional: You can omit the burata here if you are concerned about fat content
- Visit Our Shop to browse quality Mediterranean ingredients including olive oils and spices.
*This post originally appeared on The Mediterranean Dish in 2018 and has been recently updated with new information and media for readers' benefit.