This berry salad recipe is a must-try! The perfect summer salad with loads of berries, peppery arugula, and burrata cheese. A light citrus and olive oil dressing is all you need to finish it.
The salad game can get jaded and pretty ordinary sometimes. But it doesn’t have to be. The next salad idea is just around the corner. All I do is look to the seasons’ best veggies or fruit for inspiration.
With the hot, sticky summer months come one of my joys: fresh, perfectly ripe berries. While berries make the perfect pie filling, I love to use them fresh. So, they’re the obvious star of this burrata arugula berry salad recipe.
Why this berry salad works?
Rather than just throwing a few berries on a bed of greens, in this berry salad, berries totally take center stage. In this glorious summer salad, I use more than a whole pound of berries–three varieties: blackberries, raspberries, and strawberries. Just enough baby arugula and mild shallots bring in a contrasting peppery flavor that so perfectly compliments.
My latest guilty pleasure is burrata cheese. I think nestling in a few balls of fresh burrata takes this summer berry salad recipe to a level of “luxury.”
What is burrata?
Burrata works in salads like this berry salad because it is not an overpowering cheese. Like mozzzarella it is a type of soft and mild Italian cheese. In fact, it is essentially mozzarella that’s been created into pouches that are thin filled with super soft, string curd and cream. If you cut into the outer layer of burrata, all the creamy goodness comes out.
Admittedly, burrata is not necessary in this berry salad recipe (you can leave it out if you’re concerned with fat content,) but you can see why salad feels more special with just a bit of burrata in it.
Probably the biggest tip here is to use quality ingredients. From perfectly ripe, never mushy nor bruised berries, to excellent extra virgin olive oil. I used our Early Harvest extra virgin olive oil–An exquisite cold extracted and unfiltered oil with a perfectly balanced complexity. It’s rich green, fruity, and pungent with a peppery finish that compliments this salad. Learn more about this olive oil here.Print
Simple berry salad recipe with arugula, shallots, and soft buratta cheese. The perfect summer salad recipe!
- 6 oz baby arugula
- 1 small shallot, halved and sliced
- 6 oz fresh blackberries
- 6 oz fresh raspberries
- 6 oz fresh strawberries
- 4 oz Buratta cheese
- 3 tbsp Early Harvest Greek Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 large lemon juice of
- Salt and pepper
- Make dressing. Place extra virgin olive oil, lemon juice, salt and pepper in a small bowl. Whisk to combine.
- In a large mixing bowl, add the arugula, shallots, and berries (all three berry varieties). Pour the dressing on top and gently toss.
- Transfer the berry salad to a serving platter and arrange burrrata cheese on top. Enjoy!
- Prepare ahead instructions: If you don’t plan to serve this salad immediately, prepare the salad but do not dress it until closer to time of serving. You can even arrange the salad on a serving platter, then pour the dressing evenly on top a little bit before serving.
- You can omit the buratta here if you are concerned about fat content
- Recommended for this recipe: Early Harvest Greek extra virgin olive oil (from high-polyphenol Koroneiki olives that have been organically grown and processed in Greece!)
- SAVE! Try our Greek Olive Oil Bundle!
Keywords: berry salad
More Recipes to Try: