An easy, fresh and super light Mediterranean watermelon salad. Three main ingredients: watermelon, cucumber, and feta cheese. But to take it to the next level, we add some fresh mint, basil, and a honey vinaigrette. The perfect dish for your next neighborhood party!
As a child, my summers consisted of two things (mainly): the beach and watermelons. You see, living only a couple blocks away from the Mediterranean shores, our beach excursions were fairly regular. We went in
hurds large groups. And nearly every family brought along a whole watermelon! It was our thing, I guess.
Our first order of business? To bury the watermelons deep in the sand so that they stayed cool while we went off to play. When we were ready for a break, we would dig up our watermelons and gather for a snack of watermelons and feta!
I realize how odd this watermelon story or memory sounds to you. But I share it only to make a simple point: watermelon and feta kinda run in my blood.
And the inspiration for today’s watermelon salad comes from those childhood beach days. Only this watermelon salad is a “neater,” more grown up version.
This watermelon salad starts with cubed watermelon and cucumbers. To amp up the flavor and freshness, I added both mint and basil leaves. You can choose one or the other if you prefer. Then I tossed the salad in a light vinaigrette of honey and lime juice. The crumbled creamy feta tops it all adding a nice salty contrast.
There is really no big magic behind this recipe. The key to the success of this watermelon salad is in choosing ripe watermelons. Among other things, a good watermelon should be symmetrical and heavy for its size.
Here is the recipe for today’s Watermelon SaladPrint
For the Honey Vinaigrette
- 2 tbsp honey
- 2 tbsp lime juice
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- pinch of salt
For the Watermelon Salad
- 1 5 lb watermelon, peeled, cut into cubes
- 1 English (or Hot House) cucumber, cubed (about 2 cupfuls of cubed cucumbers)
- 15 fresh mint leaves, torn
- 15 fresh basil leaves, torn
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese, more to your liking
- In a small bowl, whisk together the honey, lime juice, olive oil and pinch of salt. Set aside for a moment.
- In a large bowl or serving platter with sides, combine the watermelon, cucumbers, and fresh herbs.
- Top the watermelon salad with the honey vinaigrette and gently toss to combine. Top with the feta cheese and serve!