The perfect way to kick-off a party is an epic cheese board! Use this recipe/guide to make the perfect cheese board. Be whimsical and have fun!
For Cheese (4 options; 1 to 2 ounces per person)
- Hard Cheeses: Parmagian Reggiano and Sharp Cheddar, for example
- Soft Cheeses: Brie and creamy Greek Feta
- Semi Soft Cheese: Sliced Swiss
- Other: Sliced cheddar
For Meats ( 3 to 4 options; 1 to 2 ounces per person)
- Proscuitto di Parma
- Salami (hard or soft)
- Coppa or Hot Capicola
- Crackers and small-sliced breads
- Fresh vegetables and fruit: cucumbers; grapes; sliced pears or apples, for example
- Sweet: dried figs; and honey or jam
- Tangy: olives and other marinated items like artichokes
- On a large wood board or serving platter of your choice, place one ingredient in the center of the board and 4 others on each of the corners to create shape to the board. I placed my hummus bowl in the center of the board, and in the 4 corners, a round of brie; square of aged cheddar; a bowl of olives; and a bowl of creamy crumbled feta.
- From there, fill in the board from the center to the corners with the remaining cheeses, meats, and accompaniments. Take a look and see where the gaps are, add more items as needed. Garnish with fresh herbs.
- Pro-Tip:There are no hard rules about how much per person you need to serve, but generally speaking, be prepared with about 1 to 2 ounces of cheese per person and 1 to 2 ounces of meat per person. I always keep plenty of everything to replenish the board for a longer party.
- Pro-Tip: Remember that cheese tastes better at room temperature. To arrange this cheese board, I usually allow 1 hour. First, I pull the cheeses out and let them rest in their wrappers (so they don’t dry), while gathering the rest of the ingredients. And I’ll begin arranging the board about 30 minutes before guests arrive, so the cheeses will have been out of the fridge for about 1 hour or so before serving. Add the meats in about 10 to 20 minutes before serving.
- Pro-Tip: Remember, there is no right or wrong way to build a cheese board, so be sure to add your favorites and use up what you might have on hand. You can invest in one or two quality cheeses, but the ready sliced cheeses in your grocer’s fridge make great fillers.
- Visit The Mediterranean Dish store and check out our Greek EVOO bundle and more!
- Category: Appetizer
- Method: No-Cook
- Cuisine: Italian
Keywords: cheese board, how to make a cheese board, party platter