A simpler version of Arroz con Pollo, this Spanish chicken and rice recipe with chorizo is every bit a satisfying and flavorful, one-pan-wonder!
For Chicken etc.
- 1 1/2 cup medium grain rice, washed
- 4 bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs
- 4 skin-on chicken drumsticks
- Olive oil
- 12 oz bulk Chorizo sausage (no casings)
- 1 large green bell pepper, cored, chopped
- 1 medium red onion, peeled, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled, crushed
- 1 large ripe tomato, chopped
- 3 tbsp tomato paste
- 3 cups chicken broth
For Spice Rub
- 1 tbsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper, more or less to your liking (optional)
- Place the rice in a deep bowl and cover with water. Soak for 10-15 minutes in water; drain.
- In a small bowl, mix the spices, salt and pepper, to make the spice rub.
- Pat the chicken dry and season with the spice rub, be sure to lift the chicken skins and apply some of the spice rub underneath (this is important for flavor).
- In a 5-quart braiser pan (or deep skillet with a cover), heat 1 tbsp olive oil. Add the chicken, and brown deeply on both sides over medium-high or high heat. Remove the chicken and set aside.
- In the same pan, add the chorizo. Cook for 10 minutes, stirring regularly until the chorizo has nicely browned. Add the green peppers and continue to cook for another 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Now add the onions, garlic, chopped tomato, tomato paste, and chicken broth. Add the browned chicken back to the pan. Bring to a boil; then lower the heat to medium and cover. Cook undisturbed for 25 minutes.
- Uncover the pan and remove the chicken briefly (set on a dish near the stove for now). Stir the rice into the cooking liquid. Cook for 1-2 minutes uncovered. Now add the chicken back on top of the rice. Turn the heat to low, cover the pan and cook for another 20-25 minutes or until the rice is fully cooked.
- Turn the heat off, but leave the pan covered and undisturbed for 10 more minutes. Serve hot.
- Add a side salad like this kidney bean and cilantro salad or a green salad like fattoush. Enjoy!
- Cooking Tip: Once cooked, leave the Spanish chicken and rice in the covered pan, undisturbed for 10 minutes or so. Rice needs time to rest, and allowing the time means that the starch will set and the moisture can evenly distribute so you don’t end up with a gluey mess.
- Recommended for this Recipe: Our Private Reserve Greek extra virgin olive oil (from organically grown and processed Koroneiki olives!)
- Visit our store to browse our spices, olive oils and bundles!
- Category: Entree
- Method: Stove Top
- Cuisine: Mediterranean
Keywords: Chicken and Rice, Arroz con pollo, Spanish entree, Chorizo, Spanish Chorizo,