A couple of small expert tips make all the difference in making the BEST roasted carrots! Roasted at a high temperature, these carrots are perfectly tender with beautiful caramelized edges. So many ways to flavor roasted carrots, whether you like them sweet or savory. I share a few ideas below.
This simple vegan roasted carrots recipe makes a delicious, healthy side to serve with almost any entree, particularly meaty items. Be sure to grab my tips below!
Why boil or steam them when you can have perfectly roasted carrots!
Roasting carrots in a high-heated oven has long been my favorite way to enjoy them, and they make the best soup, by the way.
When roasted, carrots are transformed to a sweet, tender, and beautifully caramelized side dish that goes with nearly any entree!
This olive oil roasted carrots recipe is healthy, vegan, gluten free and Mediterranean diet-friendly. And, it’s a snitch to make, but I’ll share a few helpful tips for how to roast carrots perfectly every single time!
Tips for How to Roast Carrots
Roasted carrots are super simple to make, and almost impossible to mess up. And you can flavor them so many ways depending on your mood or what you’re serving along. Here’s the gist of how to roast carrots:
1. Peel and cut carrots
Which way to cut carrots? This is really a personal preference. Almost any cut will work, as long as you keep the size of the cut pieces roughly the same so that they cook evenly (you don’t want to end up with some carrots that are too mushy, while some are not cooked through.) I do tend to cut my carrots either into thick batons or larger oval discs.
For today’s roasted carrot recipe, I cut the carrots on the diagonal into large oval discs (about 1-inch pieces.) I find this increases the surface area touching the hot pan, and gives the carrots more chance to get nicely tender and even caramelized.
2. Toss with olive oil, salt and pepper
You need a bit of quality extra virgin olive oil (I used Private Reserve Greek EVOO) to coat the carrots in. This is what helps them cook well and gain some good color. A simple dash of kosher salt and black pepper begins the flavoring process.
I like to place the carrots, EVOO, salt and pepper in a large mixing bowl, and using my hands, I just toss until the carrots are well combined. You can do this step right in your pan, but I find that starting in a mixing bowl gives me more leverage and helps ensure the carrots are evenly coated.
3. Roast (bake) Carrots in a Hot Oven Until Perfectly Tender
A hot oven is best suited for roasting vegetables like carrots. What temperature? and How long to roast carrots? In this recipe, I roasted my carrots in a 400 degree F heated-oven for about 20 to 30 minutes until they were perfectly tender and a bit caramelized.
The most important thing to remember, be sure to spread the carrots well on a large baking pan or baking sheet. I often use this cast iron pan (affiliate). The added benefit of cast iron is that it provides even, steady heat.
4. Jazz Your Roasted Carrots with More Flavor
Roasted carrots with olive oil, salt and pepper is delicious. But you can feel free to play up your roasted carrots with more flavor. Transfer them to a serving dish and toss in spices or fresh herbs.
Roasted Carrots Recipe, Savory or Sweet
The sky is the limit as far as what flavors you can add to your roasted carrots. And maybe you change things up according to what else you’re serving.
In this particular roasted carrots recipe, I went for a bit of a Moroccan twist and added fresh minced garlic, and pinch of turmeric and harissa spice blend. Harissa is such a beautiful, warm blend of three types of chili along with sumac, caraway, fennel, cumin, coriander, garlic and peppermint. It adds a nice kick, but it is not too spicy or overwhelming. (Learn more here.)
To finish things up, I squeezed a little bit of fresh lime juice and tossed in some fresh parsley. Together, the lime juice and parsley really enhanced the flavor and added some brightness here.
And for those who prefer roasted carrots on the sweeter side, for example, you can try a sprinkle of ground cinnamon and a drizzle of warm honey!
This Roasted Carrots Recipe Would Make a Great Side Next to:
Visit OUR ONLINE SHOP FOR QUALITY OLIVE OILS, ALL-NATURAL SPICES AND MORE!Print
A couple of small tips make all the difference in making the BEST roasted carrots! Roasted at a high temperature, these carrots are perfectly tender with beautiful caramelized edges. So many ways to flavor roasted carrots, whether you like them sweet or savory. This simple vegan roasted carrots recipe makes a delicious, healthy side to serve with almost any entree, particularly meaty items.
- 2 lb carrots, pealed and cut on the diagonal
- Extra virgin olive oil (I used Private Reserve Greek extra virgin olive oil)
- Kosher salt
- Black pepper
To Flavor Roasted Carrots:
- Heat your oven to 400 degrees F.
- Place carrots in a large mixing bowl, and add a generous drizzle of extra virgin olive oil (about 2 tbsp or so.) Season with kosher salt and black pepper. Toss to combine.
- Transfer the carrots to a baking pan, making sure the carrots are well spread and not crowded.
- Roast in heated oven for 20 to 25 minutes or until tender and slightly caramelized (if you like, check part-way through and turn carrots over to get even color on both sides.)
- Remove from oven. Transfer the roasted carrots to a serving bowl. Here, you can add flavor to your liking. To follow the recipe, season with turmeric and harissa spice blend (or seasoning of your choice.) If you like, add a little minced garlic and a splash of lime juice. Toss to combine. Garnish with fresh parsley.
- Cook’s Tip: Once carrots are roasted, you can play with flavors as you like. I like savory warm flavors with roasted carrots, that’s why I used turmeric and harissa. I have also used a combination of cumin and coriander with a little oregano. And if you’re in the mood for something on the sweet side, add a dash of cinnamon and a drizzle of warm honey to your roasted carrots.
- Visit our online shop to browse our quality olive oils, all-natural and organic spices and more.
- Category: Side
- Method: Roasted
- Cuisine: Mediterranean
Keywords: Roasted Carrots Recipe, How to Roast Carrots
*This post originally appeared on The Mediterranean Dish in 2016 and has recently been updated with new information and media for readers’ benefit. Enjoy!