Easy asparagus recipe with a Mediterranean twist! Bright, simply blanched asparagus takes on a flavor-packed Mediterranean salsa with tomatoes, shallot and fresh herbs. Serve it as appetizer, salad, or side dish! Vegan. Gluten Free.
For Mediterranean Salsa
- 12 oz cherry tomatoes, chopped or halved (place in a small sieve over a bowl to drain a little)
- 1 shallot, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley leaves
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh mint leaves (or basil chiffonade, if you prefer)
- Salt and pepper, more for later
- 1/2 tsp sumac
- 2 to 3 tsp fresh lemon juice
- Early Harvest Greek extra virgin olive oil, more for later
- 1 1/2 lb Asparagus, tough ends trimmed (preferably baby asparagus if available)
- Zest of 1 lemon
- Make the Mediterranean salsa. In a mixing bowl, add the tomatoes, shallots, garlic and herbs. Season with salt, pepper, and sumac. Add lemon juice and a generous drizzle of extra virgin olive oil. Mix and set aside so flavors will meld nicely (or, if you prefer, cover and chill until ready to serve).
- In a large sacuepan, bring 8 cups of water to a boil. Seasoned with 2 tbsp salt. Have a large bowl of ice water ready next to it (ice bath).
- When water comes to a rolling boil, add the prepared asparagus. BoRemove with tongs, or drain in a colander, and immediately transfer to ice water for 1 minute to stop the cooking process. Drain; set aside to cool down (or if you prefer, chill in the fridge until ready to serve.)
- When ready to serve, arrange the asparagus on a serving platter. Season with salt and pepper. Add a drizzle of good extra virgin olive oil and lemon zest. Top with the Mediterranean salsa. Enjoy!
- Prepare ahead Instructions: you can serve this at room temperature or chilled. If you plan to prepare ahead and chill, you can do so a few hours or one night in advance. Store the Mediterranean salsa and asparagus separately in the fridge, in tight-lid containers or well-wrapped.
- Recommended for this Recipe: Our Early Harvest Greek extra virgin olive oil (top quality oil from organically grown and processed Koroneiki olives), and from our all-natural spice collection, Sumac.
- SAVE! Try our Ultimate Mediterranean Spice Bundle or Create your own 3-pack or 6-pack of spices. And our Greek Olive Oil Bundle!
- Category: Side
- Cuisine: Mediterranean
Keywords: Easy asparagus recipe, Mediterranean salsa