How to make hummus the traditional way. No fuss. No extra flavors added. Just a plain, classic homemade hummus recipe. And a couple of tricks will ensure you achieve the best hummus ever–thick, smooth, rich, and ultra creamy. Be sure to see the video tutorial as well.
- 3 cups (200 grams) cooked chickpeas, peeled (from 1 to 1 1/4 cup dry chickpeas or from quality canned chickpeas. See recipe notes for more instructions on cooking and peeling chickpeas)
- 1 to 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 to 4 ice cubes
- 1/3 cup (79 grams) tahini paste
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Hot water (if needed)
- Early Harvest Greek extra virgin olive oil
- Add chickpeas and minced garlic to the bowl of a food processor. Puree until a smooth, powder-like mixture forms.
- While processor is running, add ice cubes, tahini, salt, and lemon juice. Blend for about 4 minutes or so. Check, and if the consistency is too thick still, run processor and slowly add a little hot water. Blend until you reach desired silky smooth consistency.
- Spread in a serving bowl and add a generous drizzle of Early Harvest EVOO. Add a few chickpeas to the middle, if you like. Sprinkle sumac on top. Enjoy with warm pita wedges and your favorite veggies.
- To cook dry chickpeas: soak chickpeas in plenty of water overnight (water needs to be at least doubled the volume of chickpeas). When ready, drain chickpeas and place them in a medium-sized heavy cooking pot. Cover with water by about 2 inches. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 1 1/2 to 2 hours.
- If using canned chickpeas, make sure they are drained and rinsed.
- To peel chickpeas (cooked or from a can): cover cooked chickpeas in hot water and add 1 1/2 tsp baking soda. Take a handful of chickpeas and rub under running water to remove the skins. Place peeled chickpeas in a bowl.
- I used to add 1 to 2 tbsp Greek yogurt to hummus to also add some creaminess, but with this recipe (and tips mentioned above) this is not needed
- Recommended for this recipe: the best way to finish this hummus is with a generous drizzle of our excellent Early Harvest Greek extra virgin olive oil and a few sprinkles of sumac. Find Early Harvest EVOO here; find Sumac here. SAVE! Try our Greek extra virgin olive oil bundle! Try our Ultimate Mediterranean Spice Bundle!
- Category: Appetizers
- Method: Food processor or blender
- Cuisine: Middle Eastern
Keywords: how to make hummus, hummus recipe, best hummus recipe, homemade hummus recipe, hummus, creamy hummus