Epic 3-layer hummus dip, prepared Lebanese-style. Creamy hummus, topped with a layer of perfectly-spiced meat mixture with warm flavors like allspice and cinnamon. Finished with fresh tomatoes, a sprinkle of parsley and toasted pine nuts.
- Make this Homemade Hummus Recipe, or use 16-oz store-bought quality hummus that you like.
For Spiced Beef:
- Extra virgin olive oil (I used Early Harvest Greek extra virgin olive oil)
- 1 small red onion, chopped, divided
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 green bell pepper, cored and chopped
- 8 oz lean ground beef (I used ButcherBox 100% grass-fed and grass-finished beef)
- 1 tsp ground allspice
- 1/2 tsp sumac
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 cup canned tomato sauce
- 3 tbsp toasted pine nuts, optional
- Prepare hummus in advance using this recipe for creamy homemade hummus OR prepare 16-oz of quality store-bought plain hummus.
- To make the spiced beef topping, heat 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil in a skillet until shimmering but not smoking. Add most of the onions, keeping about 1 tbsp or so for later. Add green peppers and garlic. Cook over medium-high heat for about 4 minutes or so, stirring regularly, until softened.
- Add lean ground beef and saute until fully browned (about 8 mins or so.) Carefully drain any excess fat and return skillet to heat. Season beef with kosher salt, pepper, allspice, sumac, and cinnamon. Stir in tomato sauce, and cook another 5 mins or so, stirring occasionally.
- Assemble the layered hummus dip! Spread hummus in a serving bowl. Pour a generous drizzle of quality extra virgin olive oil (I used our Early Harvest Greek extra virgin olive oil.) Top with the spiced meat, fresh chopped tomatoes, parsley, the remaining red onion, and toasted pine nuts.
- Serve immediately with warm pita pockets or these homemade pita chips.
- Storing instructions: This hummus dip is best served immediately, but if you have any leftovers, store in the fridge in tight-lid container for up to 2 days.
- Visit our online shop to browse our olive oil bundles and all-natural and organic spices!
- Category: Appetizer
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Mediterranean
Keywords: Hummus dip, Hummus, Layered Hummus Dip