This Mediterranean cucumber salad will be your new go-to. It’s light and healthy, and you’ll love it’s bright and refreshing flavors especially during warmer days. Be sure to check out the notes and tips below for best results.
- 2 English cucumbers, thinly sliced using mandoline or knife (see important tip below)
- 1 to 2 shallots, thinly sliced
- 4 to 6 radishes, thinly sliced
- About 1/4 oz/9 g chopped fresh dill
- 3 to 4 tbsp extra virgin olive oil (I used Early Harvest Greek extra virgin olive oil)
- 2 tbsp white wine vinegar
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- Salt and pepper
- Place sliced cucumbers in a large mixing bowl. Add sliced shallots, radish and fresh dill. Toss.
- In a small bowl (or mason jar), combine the dressing ingredients (extra virgin olive oil, white wine vinegar, lemon juice, oregano, kosher salt and black pepper.) Whisk (or cover and shake mason jar) until well combined.
- Pour dressing over the salad.Toss again to combine, making sure the cucumber salad is well coated with the dressing. Enjoy!
- Important Tip if you are not serving this cucumber salad immediately. You must salt the cucumbers first to draw out as much of the liquid out as possible. To do that, place cucumber slices in a colander, add a large pinch of kosher salt, toss (it does not matter how much salt you add, most of it will drain with the liquid.) Leave to drain for about 20 minutes to let osmosis do its thing. Pat dry, then continue with the recipe from here.
- How far in advance to make this salad? This is such a quick salad to make, it is best served on the day of, even if you follow the extra step of draining the cucumbers. If you need to, you can do some prep and store ingredients separately in the fridge, then toss them all together a few minutes before serving.
- Variations: If fresh dill is not available, you can use dry dill weed. Start with 2 teaspoons of dry dill weed and add more to your liking. The general rule of thumb is 1 teaspoon of dill weed for 1 tablespoon of fresh dill. This recipe has about 4 tablespoons fresh dill, so technically, you can use up to 4 tsp dried dill weed…but again, I’d start small.
- More Recipe Variations: If you dislike dill all together, you can use your favorite herb instead. Fresh mint or parsley would be great here. Also, if you’re a fan of kalamata olives and feta cheese, you can sprinkle a bit in for more flavor!
- Visit The Mediterranean Dish online store for quality extra virgin olive oils, all-natural and organic spices and more!
- Category: Salad
- Method: Mixed
- Cuisine: Mediterranean
Keywords: Cucumber salad, how to drain cucumbers, Mediterranean salad