Make little foil (or parchment) pouches to carry this tasty Mediterranean-style oven baked salmon. So good!
While today’s star ingredient–salmon–is not native to the Mediterranean, still I prepared it the best way I know how: Mediterranean-style wrapped in foil and baked with lots of summer vegetables fresh from the farmer’s market.
Depending on who you are, you may not consider it panache enough to serve fish wrapped in wrinkly pieces of foil. Or, you may even think oven baked salmon in foil looks like a trendy thing. Or you may prefer parchment over foil; that’s quite fine!
The foil (or parchment) makes nice individual parcels to carry the salmon, veggies, and our tasty lime sauce together. They cook quickly and evenly. The result is tender and juicy salmon and veggies that are cooked just right, while keeping some crunch.
What to serve with this oven baked salmon?
I like to serve this baked salmon with a side of Lebanese rice. The options for salads to go along are a-plenty: balela, fattoush, or this simple Mediterranean salad go real well with this salmon. If you’re feeling fancy, drizzle a bit of tahini sauce on top!
- 4 Salmon fillets, 5-oz each
- Private Reserve Greek extra virgin olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- 15 Garlic Cloves, crushed or finely chopped, divided
- 4 Fresh thyme springs (or 2-3 tsp dried thyme)
- 2 summer squash, any kind, halved and sliced
- 1 large tomato, halved and sliced
- 2 large green onions, both white and green parts, sliced
- 2 tbsp butter melted
- 1 tsp sweet paprika
- 1 large lemon, juice of
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley leaves, stems removed
- Lemon wedges to serve
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Prepare 4 12″x 17″ pieces of foil on a large baking sheet.
- Drizzle olive oil generously over each of the salmon fillets, then place the salmon fillets, oiled side down, on the prepared foil sheets.
- Spread 1/2 of the crushed garlic over the salmon fillets, and season with salt, pepper. Add thyme.
- In a small bowl, mix the remaining crushed garlic with the melted butter, 1/3 cup olive oil, lemon juice, salt, pepper and paprika.
- Place veggies in a large bowl or tray, pour the sauce over, toss to combine.
- Divide the vegetables into 4 equal portions over (or next to) the salmon fillets. Fold the foil over the salmon and vegetables, cover completely and seal shut.
- Bake in the 400 degree F heated-oven for 20-25 minutes.
- When ready, carefully transfer the salmon and vegetable foil packets with a spatula to individual serving plates. Serve with lemon wedges. (see our suggestions up top for what to serve along) Enjoy!
The salmon fillets are meant to be eaten right out of the foil. However, if you prefer to remove them, once baked, let the salmon fillets sit in the foil for 3-5 minutes and then very carefully lift each out with a large metal spatula.