A truly traditional Greek salad recipe is meant to be of few ingredients: tomatoes, cucumber, green peppers, red onions and feta cheese. A simple dressing of excellent extra virgin olive oil and red wine vinegar. Comes together in 10 minutes!
- 4 Medium juicy tomatoes, preferably organic tomatoes
- 1 Cucumber, or 3/4 English (hot house) cucumber preferred, partially peeled making a striped pattern
- 1 green bell pepper, cored
- 1 medium red onion
- Greek pitted Kalamata olives
- Salt, a pinch
- 4 tbsp quality extra virgin olive oil (I used Early Harvest Greek olive oil)
- 1–2 tbsp red wine vinegar
- Blocks of Greek feta (do not crumble) a good amount to your liking
- 1/2 tbsp quality dried oregano
- Cut the tomatoes into wedges or large chunks (I sliced some and cut the rest in wedges).
- Cut the partially peeled cucumber in half length-wise, then slice into thick halves (at least 1/2″ in thickness)
- Thinly slice the bell pepper into rings.
- Cut the red onion in half and thinly slice into half moons.
- Place everything in a large salad dish. Add a good handful of the pitted kalamata olives.
- Season very lightly with salt (just a pinch). Pour the olive oil and red wine vinegar.
- Give everything a very gentle toss to mix; do NOT over mix, this salad is not meant to be handled too much.
- Now add the the feta blocks on top. Sprinkle the dried oregano.
- Serve with crusty bread!
- Category: Salad
- Method: Mixing
- Cuisine: Greek
Keywords: Greek salad, Traditional Greek Salad, Mediterranean Salad with feta