This nutrition-packed, chunky vegan lentil soup recipe is anything but one-note. Prepared the Mediterranean way with vegetables, warm spices, and fresh herbs, it is the ultimate one-pot-wonder!
- 1 ½ cups/ 315 grams green lentils
- Extra virgin olive oil (I used Private Reserve)
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 1 bulk carrot, chopped
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 1 russet potato, small diced
- 3 to 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 zucchini squash, diced
- Salt and pepper
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper (optional)
- 3 cups/700 grams or so canned diced tomatoes with juice
- 2 ½ cup water (or low-sodium broth)
- 1 cup /about 25 grams chopped fresh parsley, stems removed
- 2 tbsp fresh lime or lemon juice
- lime or lemon wedges to serve
- Bread to serve
- Place the lentils in a bowl and cover with water. Wash and soak for 10 minutes or so. Drain well.
- In a large heavy pot or Dutch Oven, heat 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil. Add onions, carrot, celery, and potatoes cook over medium-high heat for 4 to 5 minutes, stirring regularly.
- Add garlic and zucchini. Cook another 5 minutes, stirring regularly.
- Add lentils, salt and pepper and spices. Toss to combine, then add the tomatoes and water (or low-sodium broth, if you prefer.)
- Bring everything to a boil for 5 mins, then reduce heat to low. Cover and let simmer for 20 mins or so until the vegetables are tender and lentils are well cooked (stir occasionally and watch to add water or liquid, if needed.)
- Remove from heat and stir in parsley and lime juice (or lemon juice). Transfer to serving bowls and top with a generous drizzle of extra virgin olive oil. Serve hot with your favorite crusty bread.
- Recommended for this recipe: All-natural Green Lentils. Private Reserve Greek extra virgin olive oil (from organically grown and processed Koroneiki olives.) SAVE! Try our Greek Olive Oil Bundle!
- Recommended for this recipe from our all-natural and organic spice collections: Coriander, cumin and turmeric powder. SAVE! Create your own 3-pack or 6-pack of spices, or try our Ultimate Mediterranean Spice Bundle!
- Category: Entree
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Mediterranean
Keywords: lentil soup, vegan lentil soup, how to make lentil soup, easy lentil soup, lentil soup recipe, vegan lentil soup recipe, Mediterranean lentil soup recipe