Perfectly tender roasted artichoke recipe, prepared Mediterranean-style with olive oil, capers and a roasted garlic-dill vinaigrette. I dare say, this may become your favorite way to enjoy roasted artichoke!
One of my mom’s signature dishes was meat-stuffed artichoke hearts. They weren’t something she made too often because they were a bit of an undertaking. Plus, my brother and I didn’t much appreciate them.
Thankfully, our palates matured as we aged. Now, I can’t stop eating artichokes!
It took me a while to warm up to the idea of preparing artichokes from scratch, though. At last, I did. And it was roasted artichoke.
If I’m being completely honest with you, roasted artichoke isn’t going to be a quick go-to appetizer. But, this roasted artichoke recipe is not as fussy as you’d expect. And the result is delicate, tender (almost melt-in-your-mouth) flavorful artichokes.
Now would be a good time to admit, even-though this recipe feeds 6 people, it was only my husband and I who quickly inhaled these artichokes!
The secret to these roasted artichokes?
The secret to these tender roasted artichokes lies in the little foil pouches they’re nestled in nicely; a good way to trap the heat and allow the artichokes to cook well. The flavor makers here include quality extra virgin olive oil to aid the roasting, and then a tangy, garlic and dill vinaigrette. I ended up using the garlic cloves that have been roasted right with the artichokes.
The finishing touches? Capers, and feta.
Mediterranean roasted artichoke recipe with capers and roasted garlic-dill vinaigrette. Perfectly tender. Flavor-packed. I dare say, this may become your favorite way to enjoy roasted artichoke!
- 3 large globe artichokes
- 3 tsp lemon juice
- Salt and black pepper
- Extra virgin olive oil
- 6 garlic cloves, peeled
- 1 small shallot, thinly sliced
- 1 tbsp capers
- Crumbled feta cheese to taste
For the Roasted Garlic-Dill Vinaigrette
- Same 6 garlic cloves roasted earlier with the artichoke (see above ingredients)
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh dill
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 tsp honey
- Salt and Black Pepper
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- To clean artichokes, first, cut off the stem/stalk. Peel off the tough outer layers by hand. When you reach the softer layers, use a serated knife to cut off about 3/4 inches from the top. Now, cut artichoke in half length-wise. Then, using a sharp pairing knife, remove all the “hairs” on the inside.
- As you clean the inside of each artichoke half, immediately add 1/2 tsp lemon juice to cover the surface to prevent the artichoke from discoloring.
- On a large baking sheet, place each artichoke half in a piece of lightly-oiled foil paper that is large enough to fold around.
- Season artichokes with salt and pepper, and nestle 1 garlic clove in the center of each artichoke half. Drizzle generously with quality olive oil (it’s okay if some of the olive oil pools in the center or overflows onto the foil). Close the foil around artichokes.
- Roast in the 400 degrees F heated-oven for 40 minutes.
- Carefully open the foil pouches using tongs. Remove the roasted garlic from the center of artichoke, and close the foils back until ready to serve. Let garlic cool.
- In the bowl of a small food processor, add the roasted garlic with the remaining vinaigrette ingredients. Pulse until smooth.
- Remove the artichokes from foil. Arrange on a serving platter, generously drizzle the roasted garlic-dill vinaigrette. Top with shallots, capers and crumbled feta cheese. Enjoy!
- Category: Side dish
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: Mediterranean
Keywords: Roasted artichoke, oven roasted artichoke, Mediterranean-style artichoke, vegan artichoke, vegetarian artichoke