This lemon chicken recipe is an easy weeknight dinner that will not disappoint. If you have the time, let the chicken marinate in the fridge for a few hours. But if not, letting it marinate at room temperature for just a few minutes will still impart flavor. See suggestions in notes for what to serve along!
For Spice Mixture
- 2 tsp /2 g dried oregano
- 1 1/2 tsp / 3.9 g ground coriander
- 1 1/2 tsp / 3.9 g ground cumin
- 3/4 tsp/ 1.9 g ground nutmeg
- 1/3 cup / 80 ml lemon juice
- 1/4 cup / 60 ml Private Reserve extra virgin olive oil
- 2 to 3 tsp / 5.6 g minced garlic
- 1.5 lb (6 to 7 pieces) /681 grams boneless skinless chicken thighs (you can use chicken breast, see notes)
- Kosher salt and pepper
- 1 large onion, diced
- 2 lemons, halved
- Private Reserve Greek extra virgin olive oil
- Fresh parsley for garnish
- In a small bowl, add the spices and mix to make the spice mixture. And in another bowl or large measuring cup, combine the lemon juice, olive oil and garlic to make the marinade.
- Pat chicken dry and season with kosher salt and pepper. Sprinkle generously with the spice mixture on both sides.
- Place chicken in a shallow glass container or dish. Add onions. Pour in the marinade, work the chicken a bit to make sure all the pieces are well covered with the marinade. Cover. At this point, you can leave it to marinate in room temperature for about 20 to 30 minutes, or if you have the time, refrigerate for up to 8 hours (this will ensure the most flavor.)
- When ready, heat a grill pan like this one over medium-high heat (or an outdoor grill also over medium-high heat). Do not add oil yet to the pan. Add the lemon halves, flesh-side down to grill briefly. Remove grilled lemons and set aside for now.
- Now brush the pan with a little extra virgin olive oil (I used Private Reserve). Using a pair of tongs, add chicken pieces in one layer (discard any remaining marinade). Cook for 6 to 7 minutes on each side or until chicken is well cooked through; you can adjust heat to medium if needed (when fully cooked, internal temperature should register 165 degrees F.)
- Transfer to a serving platter. Add the grilled lemons (which you can squeeze for a little more juice), and garnish with parsley. See notes for serving ideas.
- Cook’s Tip: you can use boneless skinless chicken breasts here instead of chicken thighs. Up to 3 large chicken breast halves, but be sure to cut them horizontally through the middle to create thinner cutlets. I also like to use a kitchen mallet to help tenderize the chicken breasts.
- What to Serve Along? This lemon chicken is great with Greek Green Beans, Greek potatoes, or Lebanese rice and a large Greek salad or Balela Salad. A little roasted garlic hummus or tzatziki sauce are the perfect addition.
- Leftovers? Leftover lemon chicken can be refrigerated in a tight-lid container for 3 to 4 days.
- Recommended for this Recipe: Private Reserve Greek extra virgin olive oil (from organically grown and processed Koroneiki olives. SAVE! Try our Greek Olive Oil Bundle!
- Recommended Spices for this Recipe: coriander, cumin, and nutmeg. SAVE! Try our Ultimate Mediterranean Spice Bundle, or create your own 3-pack or 6-pack from our all-natural and organic spice collections.
- Category: Entree
- Method: Pan Grilled
- Cuisine: Mediterranean
Keywords: Lemon chicken, Mediterranean chicken recipe, chicken thighs, grilled lemon chicken