You’ll love this easy homemade vegetable soup, prepared Mediterranean-style with loads of vegetables, including zucchini, carrots, and mushrooms, and fresh herbs. A little lime juice finishes this soup to add brightness and round out flavor.
- Extra Virgin Olive oil (I used Private Reserve Greek EVOO)
- 8 oz sliced baby bella mushrooms
- 1 bunch flat leaf parsley, washed, dried, stems and leaves separated, then each chopped
- 1 medium-size yellow or red onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 2 carrots, peeled, chopped
- 2 medium zucchini, tops removed, sliced into rounds or half-moons or diced
- 2 golden potatoes, peeled, small diced
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp sweet paprika
- 1/2 tsp dry thyme
- Salt and pepper
- 1 32-oz can whole peeled tomatoes
- 1 15-oz can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 2 bay leaves
- 6 cups low-sodium vegetable or chicken broth
- Zest of 1 lime
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1/3 cup toasted pine nuts (optional)
- In a large pot like this one (affiliate) heat 1 tbsp olive oil over medium-high until shimmering but not smoking. Add the mushrooms and cook for 3-5 minutes, stirring regularly. Remove from the pot and set aside from now.
- Add more olive oil, if needed and heat. Add the chopped parsley stems (stems only at this point), onions, garlic, celery, carrots, zucchini and small diced potatoes. Stir in the spices, and season with salt and pepper. Cook for about 7 minutes, stirring regularly, until the vegetables have softened a bit.
- Now add the chickpeas, tomatoes, bay leaves, and broth. Bring to a boil for 5 minutes, then turn the heat down to medium-low. Cover only partway and cook for 15 more minutes.
- Uncover and add the sauteed mushrooms. Cook for just a few more minutes until mushrooms are warmed through.
- Finally, stir in the parsley leaves, lime zest, and lime juice.
- Remove from the heat. Remove bay leaves. Transfer the vegetable soup to serving bowls and top with toasted pine nuts, if you like. Add a side of your favorite crusty bread or pita along with extra lime wedges and crushed red pepper. Enjoy!
- Cook’s Tip for Storing: Leftover homemade vegetable soup will last a good 3 to 4 days in the fridge, stored in a tight-lid glass container. Make sure the soup is completely cooled before you store it. If you’re making this soup for meal prep and want to freeze it, you can! Again make sure soup is fully cooled before storing and freezing in in covered airtight containers or heavy-duty freezer bags. Be sure to leave room in the containers for soup to expand as it freezes.
- Lower Carb Option: You can omit the potatoes for a lower carb option
- Like a spicy soup? This soup is plenty flavorful, but if you’re one for spicy, add a pinch of red pepper flakes.
- Visit our online shop to browse quality Mediterranean ingredients such as Private Reserve extra virgin olive oil and spices like coriander, turmeric and paprika!
- Category: Soup
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Mediterranean
Keywords: Healthy vegetable soup, homemade vegetable soup