Fried Trout Mediterranean Style
Author: The Mediterranean Dish
Recipe type: Entree
- 4 Trout, boned, belly flap cleaned, rinsed, head and tail remain on
- 2 tbsp. fresh garlic, paste or smashed
- Salt and pepper
- 2 tbsp. cumin
- 3/4 tbsp. cayenne pepper
- 1½ lemon, juice of; plus wedges for garnish
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- ⅓ cup corn flour or cornmeal
- Cooking oil
- Pat dry trout. Spread the inside of each fish with garlic paste. Mix salt and pepper and remaining spices and generously sprinkle the spice mixture on both sides of the fish. Mix lemon juice and olive oil; using a brush apply the lemon-oil juice to both sides of trout making sure you do not brush off the spices. Combine all-purpose flour and corn flour together. Coat fish on both sides with the flour, press to ensure the flour adheres.
- Preheat oven to 250 F. You will use oven to keep fish warm as you fry each separately.
- Place a large frying pan with about ½ inch of cooking oil on medium-high heat. As oil bubbles, turn heat slightly down and carefully slide trout in (one fish at a time). Bring back to high heat and cook about 6 minutes on one side, then turn on other side and cook another 3 minutes or until skin turns golden brown and crisp.
- With a large spatula, take trout out and place on a paper towel. Once excess oil is drained, keep fish in the warm oven as you cook the rest. Repeat process for each fish, making sure you have about ½ inch of hot oil to fry. Serve with a garnish of lemon wedges and side salads such as our simple Mediterranean salad and the Greek-style green bean salad.