Crisp, tender baked zucchini with a golden crust of freshly grated Parmesan, thyme and oregano! These Italian-flavored zucchini sticks are a crowed pleaser, served with a little Tztaziki sauce, or as a quick side next to your favorite mains. Best served hot-out-of-the-oven!
- 3 to 4 zucchini, trimmed and cut length-wise into quarters (sticks)
- Extra virgin olive oil (I used Private Reserve Greek extra virgin olive oil)
For Parmesan-Thyme Topping:
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 tsp fresh thyme leaves, no stems
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp sweet paprika
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- pinch salt
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a bowl, mix together the grated Parmesan, thyme and spices until well combined.
- Prepare a large baking sheet topped with a wire baking rack like this one. Lightly brush the baking rack with extra virgin olive oil (or use a healthy cooking spray.)
- Arrange the zucchini sticks, skin-side down, on the baking rack and brush each zucchini stick with extra virgin olive oil then sprinkle with the Parmesan-thyme topping.
- Bake in heated oven for 15 to 20 minutes or until tender. Then, for a golden crispy topping, broil for 2 to 3 minutes more, watching carefully.
- Serve immediately as an appetizer with a side of tzatziki or hummus for dipping! Or serve it as a side next to your protein of choice.
- Cook’s Tip: if possible, don’t skip using a wire rack in step #3. The wire baking rack allows the hot air to circulate freely so that the zucchini sticks will not get soggy on the bottom. The wire rack basically ensures better texture–zucchini sticks will be tender on the inside, while having a firm exterior with a crisp, golden Parmesan topping.
- What to Serve Along: These zucchini sticks are a great appetizer to kick-start your meal, but they can also make an easy side next to your favorite protein. These mains would go especially well: Greek Meatballs, Garlic Dijon Chicken, or Pan-Seared Trout, Italian Baked Chicken, Salmon Kabobs or Lamb Burgers
- Category: Side
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: Italian
Keywords: Baked Zucchini, Zucchini Sticks, Oven Baked Zucchini