A hearty, truly decadent mushroom recipe cooked in extra virgin olive oil and a tiny bit of ghee with loads of shallots and garlic! Cinnamon and a pinch of sweet paprika seal the deal on this delicious gluten free side dish or warm appetizer! See the full step-by-step tutorial below.
It might just be me, but I feel like mushrooms are rarely a star ingredient. And you certainly wouldn't think of shallots or garlic as anything but supporting flavor-makers in a given recipe.
Maybe today's recipe defies expectations just a bit.
Why This Mushroom Recipe Works?
A truly decadent mushroom recipe cooked in a little EVOO and ghee with loads of shallots and garlic. To really play up the earthy mushrooms, we add cinnamon, fresh thyme and just a pinch of sweet paprika (or if you're like me, you'd go for a little harissa spice instead!)
Trust me, this mushroom recipe is the perfect addition to your next big dinner (hello, EASTER!)
I mean, when I served it for the first time the other day, someone noted: "Man, this is the kinda dish a vegetarian will order for dinner at a fine steakhouse!" Personally, if this were my entire meal, I'd add a piece of crusty bread or maybe some couscous or Lebanese rice.
The inspiration for this shallot garlic mushroom recipe came from Ottolenghi's Plenty More. It's fairly simple--the only tricky part is peeling lots of shallots and garlic. (Tip: soak the shallots and garlic in water for half hour or so to help with peeling.)
How to Make this Shallot Garlic Mushroom Recipe
1.First, cook shallots and garlic, along with cinnamon sticks and thyme in EVOO over medium heat until shallots are nice and soft (your house will smell amazing!!!)
3. Add broth and let everything simmer on high for about 10 minutes (you'll want the liquid almost gone at the end of this step.)
4. Finish off by adding some chopped fresh parsley
In the unlikely event of leftovers, store any in the fridge in a tight-lid glass container for 3 nights or so. Warm leftovers in skillet over medium heat (add a little liquid if needed.)
More Mushroom Recipes to Try
Shallots, garlic and mushrooms cooked in a little EVOO and ghee and adorned with a couple warm spices. A decadent side dish or warm appetizer! Heck, serve it with rice or couscous as a vegetarian lunch!
- 2 tbsp/ 30 ml Early Harvest Greek extra virgin olive oil, more for later
- 2 tbsp/ 23 g Ghee (clarified butter)
- 1 lb/ 453 g shallots, peeled
- 20 garlic cloves, peeled
- 2 thyme springs
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 1 lb/ 453 g baby bella mushrooms, cleaned and halved
- ½ lb/ 226 g white mushrooms, cleaned and halved
- Kosher salt and ground pepper
- ½ tsp sweet paprika (or try ½ tsp harissa spice blend!)
- 1 cup low-sodium broth (vegetable or chicken broth is fine)
- ½ cup chopped parsley
Ricotta Topping (optional)
- 1 cup reduced fat ricotta cheese
- Zest of 1 lemon
- In a large skillet like this one, heat extra virgin olive oil and ghee over medium heat until shimmering. Add shallots, garlic, thyme springs and cinnamon sticks. Cook for 10 to 12 minutes, stirring occasionally, until shallots begin to soften.
- Raise heat to medium-high and add both kinds of mushrooms (you probably need a drizzle more extra virgin olive oil here.) Cook, tossing occasionally, for 5 minutes. Season with kosher salt, pepper, and a pinch sweet paprika (or for a more exciting twist, try harissa spice)
- Now add broth and bring to a high simmer for about 10 minutes or so until the liquid has reduced by a lot (it should almost disappear, but not quite.)
- Finally, stir in fresh parsley and remove from heat.
- To make ricotta topping (optional), simply whisk ricotta cheese with lemon zest and a drizzle of Early Harvest EVOO.
- Serve these decadent mushrooms as a side dish with a dollop of the ricotta topping, a little crusty bread won't hurt. These are also great or on top of cooked instant couscous, Lebanese rice, or your favorite grain.
- Cook's Tip for Leftovers: leftovers can be stored in the fridge in a tight-lid glass container for 3 nights or so. Warm leftovers in skillet over medium heat (add a little liquid if needed.)
- Find all-natural sweet paprika or harissa spice along with many other spices at The Mediterranean Dish store! Create your own 6-pack of spices, and be sure to check out our Greek extra virgin olive oils (from organically grown and processed Koroneiki olives!)
- Recipe adapted from Plenty More
- Prep Time: 20 mins
- Cook Time: 25 mins
- Category: Side
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Mediterranean
Keywords: Mushroom Recipe, Mushroom Stew, Garlic Mushrooms